Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lenswork Magazine
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:54:46 -0600

DFangon@aol.comDFangon@aol.com11/13/028:55 PM

>This would suggest to me the opposite  -  "Observe" rather than "engage."
>This makes more sense to me, as a documenter, you observe and record rather
>than engage and intervene.  Jim was right, what you record (meaning the
>photograph itself) should have a "point of departure" to have meaning.

We can get all caught up in semantics, however, I believe that the activity of an artist, photographer, writer, vidiographer, et al, would demand a rather "engaged" form of "observation". And I think that my original statement still works with your point, "This would suggest "engagement and action in the world" in contrast to "passivity"."