Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Lenswork Magazine
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:16:46 -0500

Yes and no. As someone Doing Documentary Work - and I would heartily
recommend Robert Coles' book of the same title - you may be bringing
your artistic vision, if you will, to the photographic images you
create, but hopefully you are remaining disengaged in the sense that you
are an observer, a fly on the wall, rather than a participant. You may,
for instance, set out to document a people or a situation because you
hope that doing so will help those people, or change that situation, but
ideally your documentary work should be limited to photographically
capturing what you see before you, not altering situations in order to
be able to record what you want to see before you.

B. D.