Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Winter up there - was Shoot more! - was Lenswork Magazine
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:10:18 +0100

Jim,

Yes, more or less true. I remember from my childhood in Århus, Denmark,
going to school in the dark and returning home in the dark at this time
of year. But of course the flip side is in the summer, when the
Scandinavians can enjoy daylight well into the evening. In the morning
it is not so great. I still have not so fond memories from my college
days, coming home from some party at, say, 2 a.m., and waking up at 5
a.m. with a huge hangover because my room with a large, east-facing
window was by then too bright and too hot to sleep.

My favorite Scandinavian holiday is what the Danes call Skt. Hans Eve,
or midsummer, on 23rd June, when people gather around large bonfires and
party all night.

Nathan

Jim Hemenway wrote:

> Someone recently told me that in southern Scandinavia, (Oslo, Stockholm,
> Copenhagen and Helsinki) that in the winter it doesn't get light until
> after 10 AM in the morning and that the sun is gone by 3 PM... true?
>
> Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland