Subject: [Leica] Time for CLA
From: "Dave Richards" <dprichards@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:09:17 -0700

My dealer had a Clean&Check day this weekend, so I took my M6 by.  The check
was perfunctory but the tech did check shutter speeds on an electronic tester.  All
were good, with in .1-.2 stops except for 1/500 and 1/1000, which were off by .5
stop.  I've had this body for almost 5 years and it has never been serviced so I think
it's time.

I have experience with John Van Stelton, who is local and has worked on another
M6 body I owned for a while.  And then there are Sherry Krauter and Don (Dan?)
Goldberg who I know only by reputation.  Regardless, I will have to ship it since
even though he is only 40 miles away, Van Stelton's hours are difficult for me.

So here are my questions:

1.  From what I've read here SK is the hands-down favorite for Leica RF service.
Are there any dissenting opinions or recommendations to the contrary?

2.  Can some one give me an idea of cost and turnaround time, assuming all it
needs is a CLA with nothing else involved?

3.  Are either SK or DG accessible via email or the web or are they reachable
strictly by snail-mail.

Finally, while at my dealer the local Leica rep showed me the M7 and made a real
effort to convince me that it's superior to the M6.  My sales resistance is usually
pretty high, so it embarrasses me to say that she succeeded.  I expect to have one
in the next two or three months, depending on availability.  From what she says the
.58 and .85 models are scarce but the .72, which is what I would get, is pretty easy
to find.  So regardless of what I do with my M6, you may see it here some Friday in
the near future.

TIA,
Dave Richards
Centennial, Colorado