Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Rollei 35
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:20:25 -0500

At 07:09 PM 11/15/02 -0800, Henry Ting wrote:

>Being a Leica user, I never owned a Rollei 35 and yet
>people who use it, vouch for its small size and the
>quality image it can produce. Can someone
>knowledgeable throw some light on the Rollie 35?
>Apparently there are differences between 35, 35S,
>Tesser, Xenon lens as well as German and Singapore
>manufactured Rolleis.

Henry

As others have pointed out, the differences between Singapore and Germany
matter only to the collector.  I have owned and used both and have never
spotted a difference in quality of any consequence.

The basic break-down is:

Three element Triotar lens:

35LED		CdS meter with viewfinder LED read-out
B35		selenium (!) meter
C35		no meter

Four element Tessar lens:
35		CdS meter with top-deck needle read-out
35 Gold	CdS meter with top-deck needle read-out
35T		CdS meter with top-deck needle read-out
35TE		CdS meter with viewfinder LED read-out

Five element Sonnar lens:
35S		CdS meter with top-deck needle read-out
35SE		CdS meter with viewfinder LED read-out
Classic		CdS meter with viewfinder LED read-out

The Triotar is NOT a mean performer but really doesn't do well at wider
apertures.  The Tessar is a fine performer which peaks at around f/8.  The
Sonnar is stunningly good at all apertures.

I keep a 35S Singapore in the glove-box of my car, Clytemnestra.  I have
yet to have any complaint at all with the performance of either car or camera.

And you might want to take a gander at John Waller's UK web site for hoods,
filters, and the like.  Highly recommended.  I do not have the URL handy,
alas!

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!