Subject: RE: [Leica] MJS on NPR
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:35:32 -0500

At 10:21 PM 11/14/02 -0700, Tim Atherton wrote:
>and... what was the correct answer?

The capsule version of the tale is that the British "Religious Right" of
the first decade of the last century backed the Liberal Party, who had
promised, as one plank in their platform, to reduce the hours in which
British pubs could be open.  The Whigs were unable to force this through --
after all, a number of their OWN members, including Winston Churchill, Lord
Haldane, and Earl Grey were firmly opposed.  But, when the British unwisely
became enmired in the First World Imbroglio, the Liberal gummit eventually
put through a bill establishing rather bizarre hours, which the British
have had to live with ever since.

Carl Kassel unwisely linked these bizarre hours to the Second World War, as
if Winston Churchill would have any part of such a restriction on the
rights of man to bear alcohol!

I was only one of the three first to catch the error.

I also recently found out Andie Rooney mentioned my name in his latest book
as the result of some correspondence we had a decade back.  A local judge
told me of this in the middle of a case I was litigating.  As I won the
case, I presume the judge approves of Andie Rooney or that he detests him,
and the reference is in the negative.

Maybe these two events are the 15 minutes of fame my fellow Pittsburgher,
Andy Warhol, promised us all.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!