Subject: Re: [Leica] Info on Current SM Lenses
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:17:25 -0700

The discounting is normal practice for the "collectable" Leicas. They
are announced with great fanfare and the "I got to have it now at a
high price so I can complain later when the price is lowered" crowd all
line up in droves to be the first on their block with the new Leica
plaything. The item moves very briskly at first and people are able to
resell them at a premium to the "IGTHINAAHPSICCLWTPIL" who feel they
are too far back on the waiting list.

Suddenly demand is satiated and sales fall off dramatically. Leica
lowers the prices, sells off their "demos" and adds rebates. This is
when the above start howling. At the end prices are VERY low and the
last few trickle out the door reluctantly. The whinging and sour grapes
of the "IGTHINAAHPSICCLWTPIL" is pretty much unbearable now and you
just want to reach out and smack 'em one.

As soon as the very last one is sold, the enquires about doesn't Leica
make such and such and where is it available start. Soon people are
desperately looking for something they could have bought for half the
price a week ago. This is closely followed by the by gosh why doesn't
Leica make this or that completely ridiculous thing which is even less
likely to sell than the crushed velvet thingy that was just offered.

Leica sits back and sighs contentedly. They made a ton of money on most
of them – crushed velvet is not very expensive you know – and sold the
last ones at a small profit as well. Now they head down to see what the
latest fashion is with their local pimps and see what they can do about
making a camera to suit. And it all starts over again...

Fortunately this silliness allows them to have the resources to make
the best line of 35mm lenses in the world. That makes me happy and able
to bear, and even be thankful for, the "IGTHINAAHPSICCLWTPIL" twits.

John Collier