Subject: Re: [Leica] 1st Wedding assignment --- should I ?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:04:59 -0800

Henry Ting wondered:

> A good friend's son is getting married and he
> requested me to be the photographer.<<<

Henry quickly leave the country, defect, go anywhere, escape while you
can!!! If not you may regret it for the rest of your life! :-) You could
also loose the friendship of a good friend! :-(

> I'm not a pro and quite frankly taking pictures of
> these "once-in-a-lifetime" event comes with a lot of
> responsibility. While it certainly would be a
> challenge, but the thought of screwing it up is beyond
> comprehension.<<<<

Henry you are asking all the wrong things... leave now!  Death is easier
than getting a wedding assignment like this! And if you don't need the money
hire somebody to shoot it that's done them before and you just shoot happy
snaps without the responsibility of all the important stuff. :-)

> How do you guys prep yourself for the very 1st wedding
> assignment, both mentally and emotionally.<<<<

I didn't know any better or I'd have drank a bottle of single malt scotch as
fast as I could! ;-) Quite frankly I've been mentally and emotionally
disturbed ever since the first one. That's why I keep throwing myself into
harms way type assignments, like wars and reckless things as sky diving with
camera in hand in case my last pictures could be my best.:-)

> By the way, such an assignment dictates that flash
> will be needed on some occasions, how do you guys/gals
> handle the big difference between the bride's "white
> gown" and the groom's "black tux".\?<<<<<

Oh mother of  whom-ever.... hire someone experienced to shoot it if you are
asking questions like this, plead insanity, anything, maybe you just caught
the black plague of Europe, the measles, anything contagious as they wont
want you to be there. :-)

Or you could just take the bullet in your teeth, do it and get over one of
the worst type of mentally disturbing photo assignments you can do. :-) You
are going to worry yourself sick and have a horrible day of worry and
concern, god you'll be miserable until you se the finished film and prints.
And nothing is as bad as waiting and worrying after shooting a "first time
ever" wedding of a friend's son!

Damn go into hiding right away! :-)
ted

PS: the worst part of this post is.... I'm serious!  :-(

Replies: Reply from drb@MIT.EDU (Re: [Leica] 1st Wedding assignment --- should I ?)
Reply from Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: [Leica] 1st Wedding assignment --- should I ?)