Subject: Re: [Leica] FOM2 - Depressing
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 06:55:54 -0800

Gerry Walden wrote:  Depressing

> The more I look at the FOM2 the more depressed I get about my own
> inadequacies. Such great images, and all taken on Leica. Anybody in the
> market for my cameras as I am thinking of taking up needlepoint!  ;>(  <<<

Gerry my man,

No! No! Don't get depressed that'll spoil your day. Look at them and learn,
then set your mind in attack mode and go out with your Leica and kick
everyone's ass with your next submission.

If you create a personal competition challenge for yourself, you agin them,
without anyone knowing they're in a competition you have the upper hand, as
you can push them off the road without them knowing you're out to kick their
ass! :-) It's thinking positive, go with the flow of what's motivating when
you go out roaming with your Leica.

If you see a lot of people images in FOM 2 you like, then set your shoot
plan to go where people things happen, sports events, weekend markets, any
activity where there are lots of people involved doing things and you'll
find your pictures if you search and shoot by motivation. And for heaven
sake don't go out depressed or angry, that clouds your eyes to see and feel
the moment.

In other words the personal competition creates a "damn the torpedoes, full
frames ahead" attitude. Getting depressed or any thought of "Oh shit look at
all this great stuff, what do I have around here to make neat stuff like
that?"  Will only pull you down. And in your case we've seen damn good
photography from you.

So don't go the depressed route, get out there and shoot the other guy's ass
off! :-) Go get 'em tiger! :-)
ted

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> (Re: [Leica] FOM2 - Depressing)