Subject: Re: [Leica] Warm clothes?
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:44:40 -0500

I cycled to work in Toronto through the whole of last winter, in
temperatures down to -12 (after that I got a cab) but I was never actually
cold. In fact I was usually too hot. The maximum I ever wore was a pair of
goretex pants over fleece long johns, a thin fleece undershirt, and a
windproof shell. Add a pair of mitts, a neckwarmer and a skullcap under my
bikehelmet.

On 11/21/02 10:16 PM, "John Collier" <jbcollier@shaw.ca> wrote:

> The type of clothing you wear to keep warm depends very much on you. I
> am a winter cyclist and I have friends who winter cycle as well. Not
> one of us uses the same gear as the other. I tend to sweat easily and
> copiously so I have to be very careful to vent as much as possible
> while still warding off the cold wind. Some of my friends can dress
> from head to toe in wind proof down because they do not sweat at all
> when they exercise. So here are some pointers that may help:
>
> - There is no such thing as warm clothes. The only source of heat is
> your body and clothes are worn to manage that heat: either to release
> it or contain it.
>
> - Heat loss increases exponentially when you and your clothes are wet.
> Moisture management is very important too. Wear a wicking layer next to
> your skin and remember boys and girls: COTTON KILLS.
>
> - If you are working hard, there is no such thing as waterproof
> breathable fabric. Goretex et al is fine for minor activity and sitting
> around but strenuous activity will require the use of more open fabrics
> such as fleece. It can be lined fleece as long as there is somewhere
> for the moisture to go (usually the back). In rain open up those pit
> zips and back vents.
>
> - If your toes and fingers are cold no matter how many mitts and socks
> you put on then you need to insulate the body core and the limbs out to
> the extremities.
>
> - Your body needs fuel to make heat. If you go outside hungry, you will
> feel colder than normal. Snacking is good to keep the fires burning. A
> large meal right before you go outside is not a good idea as then your
> blood is diverted to the digestive system.
>
> - The amount of insulating clothes you need depends on your activity
> too. You will need to have much more insulation if you are sitting in
> -30 degrees Celsius rather than walking or snow shoveling. Something to
> keep in mind if you are going to walk somewhere and then sit outside.
>
> - Your body can and will adapt to the cold if you let it. Spending all
> of your time either indoors or in your car will not let your body
> adjust. Going out for walks and turning down the heat in your
> house/apartment will help.
>
> John Collier

- --
Johnny Deadman