Subject: Re: [Leica] Using the meter in the M6
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:07:48 +0100

>I use a hand held meter with my M6 and my other Leicas.

Why with M6? Because you got used to doing it with your pre-6?

>  If I am in a hurry
>and want to grab a shot with my Sekonic or Gossen still in the bag, I'll
>then use the ttl meter.
>
>Roland Smith
>Oakland, California

I had a hand held meter but I got rid of it. It did not give me a
single better exposed negative than the M6 meter.

One of the virtues of the M6 is that it is so easy to take along in
your jacket pocket, at least with 50 mm lenses or shorter. This
advantage is lost if you have to drag along a separate meter.

Even for landscapes, where one usually has more time to meter, I can
not see any advantage in using a separate meter. In doubt I will
bracket.

Often I do not meter each individual shot but rather a green hedge or
a lawn, or some grey asphalt or the back of my hand and adjust
accordingly and then adjust for the sun going behind the clouds or
coming out from behind the clouds, whatever may be the case. Two or
three stops is usually enough for clouds going or coming. Try out
what suits you for your pictures at your location. Just remember that
the spot measured is a circle with a diameter roughly equal to one
half of the short side of the picture. (Not two-thirds as the Manual
says, if in doubt measure for yourself!)

Can't wait to get that M7

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist