Subject: Re: [Leica] EPSON 2200 PRINTER ?
From: drb@MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:17:05 -0500

Ted-

One small trick that I have learned when working with color printers is to
make test strips the same way I would in the darkroom.  For black and white
prints, this is an especially good way to tweak the gamma.  Blacks and
whites are easy to set from the histogram - sometimes without even looking
at the photo.  The gamma, however, is hard to anticipate - especially with a
new printer.  Here's how I do it:

Make any whole-image corrections that won't need testing (setting black and
white points, unsharp mask, Gaussian blur, whatever)

In photoshop, take your photo and save it as a new photo (File-->Save As
myphoto-test.jpg or something similar)

Use the rectangular selection tool to select a long rectangle of photo at
the top of the image.  The thickness should be related to the number of
steps you're considering (if you want to see 5 levels of gamma, select the
top 1/5 of the image).

Set the gamma to the lightest setting (say 1.4).

Drag the rectangle selection (just the selection marquee - not the photo
within the selection - ie keep the rectangular selection tool) down to just
below the first one.

Set your gamma a bit darker (say 1.2).

Keep going until you have your 5 sections with 5 different gammas.

I have an Cannon printer that allows me to print 1/4 or 1/2 pages instead of
full pages - this is what I usually do for test strips.  I can fit 4 test
images on one piece of photo paper, so it's not as much of a waste.  Now
that I'm used to my printer, I don't use test strips as often, but every
once in a while I'll need to white balance a color shot or print a photo
with contrast issues, and the trick usually works.  I hope this helps!

- --Dan