Subject: Re: [Leica] EPSON 2200 PRINTER ?
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 21:12:26 -0500

Mark Rabiner wrote:

"I've been looking at this printer too. But wouldn't you get better black
and white from quadtone inks? That's what I've used before with my
Epsons. This 2200 is the 500 dollar one with the individual color pods?
When I print black and white with a color inked machine i tend to use as
much color as i can for a warm or cool effect."

Hi, Mark. I'm way behind on the list, so just reading your note now.

The 2200 is around $700 here. It's the seven "color" deal with separately
replaceable reservoirs for each ink. Pigmented for extra oink.

I have VERY little experience of B&W on Epsons. Just happened to see those
links just before reading Ted's note. From what I've read, some people find
the 2200 suitable with just the two black inks. I got a 780 to do color,
but I'd love to get good cold tone monochromes without building a darkroom.

So far, with a six color printer using standard ink, I've been able to make
prints that are kinda like - I donno - Portralure, if you remember that
stuff. Not real warm or toned looking, but a bit soft and not highly
saturated. It's nice for some pictures. Just because it can't compare to
the depth of a good traditional print doesn't mean it's no good, I figure.
It's something different - ink on paper.

What's the idea with quad tone, anyway? Is it a way to get more neutral
tone, finer gradation or higher saturation? Or all of those?

Regards,

Carl