Subject: Re: [Leica] IIIa Photos
From: drb@MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:54:51 -0500

Phong & Martin-

> I beg to differ: 3 is a shot of someone sleeping, 4 is a hurried shot
> (out of focus), and 5 is a shot in the back

Phong pegged 2 out of 3, but #4 isn't out of focus because it's hurried.  I
found that 25-30% of my shots were slightly out of focus.  I think it's
because I was focusing in one window, and then moving the camera when I
composed in the other window.  The narrow depth of field showed no mercy.
Shooting at 1/30 on a moving train probably didn't help either - I have 2
other frames of that guy and both of those are motion blurred.

> But, this brings us to the core of the matter (and remember -- it takes
> one to know one).  While all are examples of consistently good
> photographic composition, good technique, good utilization of the
> format... I'm left with the question: why?  Why did you take these
> pictures?  What drove you?  What are you trying to communicate?

I'm not quite sure.  I'll be graduating in a few weeks and at that point I
can sit down and ponder what I want to do with photography.  Martin is
right - I did just throw a few rolls into the camera (easier said than done
with a III...), and go shoot whatever I could find.  I'm not sure why I
picked those things to photograph - I guess they just caught my eye.  Since
I'm graduating in December, I have a few months before grad school starts in
September.  I was thinking about trying to get a photography internship with
a newspaper.  It's not the same type of photography, but at least it would
be some direction, instruction, and money.  If anyone has any ideas about
what I could do between December and September, I'd be interested.  I've
been looking at photo internships and volunteer opportuntites all over the
world.  Any leads/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for the comments and feedback!

- --Dan