Subject: Re: [Leica] Monkey Business??
From: drb@MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 00:48:18 -0500

Phong-

The mean time would be several orders of magnitude more than the age of the
universe in seconds.  Look at it this way - suppose by some miracle the
monkey succeeds in typing almost all of the complete works of Shakespeare
and is about to hit the last character on the last page.  Given that there
are ~100 possible choices on the keyboard, there is a 99% chance that he
will pick the wrong one, thus nullifying the result.  That, of course, isn't
to say that monkeys could never produce prose - just look at Congress
(screeching and feces throwing included).

To bring it back to a more related topic, my research at the MIT Media Lab
is about photography and imagemaking in the future.  I am working with many
of the people who have revolutionized these fields in the past (Steve
Benton, Glorianna Davenport, etc.) and a few companies that are agressively
researching the future (Kodak, Sony, Motorola, etc.).  If anyone is
interested I would be happy to talk about where photography (both pro and
consumer) may end up 20-30 years out.

- --Dan