Subject: [Leica] Re: RF vs. Reflex
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:25:23 -0500

Marc & Slobodan,

Marc wrote and Slobodan agreed... "It is a LOT deeper than simply the choice
of gear.  Nikon supported their
professional shooters utterly and completely for many years in a way that
Leitz and Zeiss Ikon and Rolleiflex did not.  If you busted a lens on a
shoot in Lower Ventricle, North Dakota, the Germans would tell you, "ach!
send it in, and we will fix it, for a fee!" while Nikon said, "pick up a
replacement lens at so-and-so tomorrow".  This won over the professional
community REALLY fast, and the rest is history."

    Both of you are correct about Nikon's support of the professional, and
both of you are incorrect about Leica. Leica for many years was at major
events, like political conventions, and Olympics, however they didn't
operate on the grand scale as Nikon. Leica would loan out gear and do
repairs, usually for their regular customers. I can not speak for Rollie or
Zeiss, but every time, I've called Leica and said HELP! They delivered. They
may not have a formal professional service program, but remember Leica is a
very small company. They know who their professional customers are and take
care of them.
Happy Snaps,
Sal

Sal DiMarco, Jr.