Subject: Re: [Leica] Where's Canada and The "Left" Coast!
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 18:08:03 +0100

Edward Caliguri wrote:

> BTW - I just asked my 4 and a half year old where the Pacific Ocean was - he
> said it was the "blue on the left!" --- I knew we should have gotten the
> kids place mats with developer times and formulas on 'em instead!
> EC

Well done to your boy. I just had some fun with the latest issue of
National Geographic, in which there is a quiz--you have to pick out 11
Asian countries on a map of Asia without names. All the countries in
question are in the news a lot--Afghanistan, India, Israel, etc. They
tried this on samples of 18-24 year olds in 8 countries. The best was
Germany, with an average of 6.8, the worst Mexico with 2.something, and
the next-to-last the USA. Given all that, I was quite pleased that my
13-year old son was able to point out 7 of the 11 countries. Amazing
what a little old-fashioned education can do...

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland