Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanner questons, off-topic and off-list
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 10:09:28 -0500

- --On Sunday, December 8, 2002 6:13 AM -0700 Dave Richards
<dprichards@earthlink.net> wrote:

> One and all,
>
> I have just purchased a Nikon LS-4000 scanner.  This is my first foray
> into scanning  and I'm a bit boggled.  I know there are several people
> here who have this particular  model.  I have some questions concerning
> some things I have observed in making  my initial scans, questions not
> answered by what I read in the docs.
>
> Usually I just blunder around and eventually sort things out, but in this
> case I may  be out of my depth.  I would appreciate it if some kind soul
> would agree to talk with  me briefly about it and provide some answers.
> Out of courtesy to other subscribers  I would prefer this to happen
> off-list.

I'll say this directly on the list:

Surf over to http://www.hamrick.com and get a copy of Vuescan. No, the
interface isn't pretty, but the scans will be better than those you get out
of Nikon Scan. They will also require a bit more Photoshop cleanup.

Also, plan on doing some reading up on color management lest you become
endlessly frustrated from being unable to make anything look the way you
thought it would look :-).

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com