Subject: Re: [Leica] Do I need a 'slim' filter for a 24mm elmarit?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:25:14 -0800

eric korenman asked:

> Just bought a 24mm elmarit (thanks Phong!)
>
> Buying some film from B&H today, and I would also like to get a UV filter
> for the lens. My gut tells me to get a 'slim' mount filter, but, of
course,
> it costs roughly triple the price of a regular filter.
>
> Anyone have experience with this?
> Will a refulat filter results in vignetting?<<<

Hi Eric,

Bad question when using a Leica lens.... :-)

First of all you may find yourself swamped by "filter un-users" ;-) They're
usually right, filters, unless used for a specific photographic enhancement
are a waste of money, particularly when bought on the premise of.."lens
front element protection! "

I would ask, why do you want a UV filter on a Leica 24mm lens? Secondly,
what effect do you expect to have from the filter? And if for protection,
then from what do you imagine you'll be protecting if from?

Consider this: Leica glass has the hardest front surface of nearly all
lenses... a questionable comment..... ;-) However, if tested probably true.
The UV filter wont enhance anything, despite what you may think or be told
..... The filter is two more glass surfaces to clean...... the filter can
create internal light reflections depending on angle of lights in the frame.

>>My gut tells me to get a 'slim' mount filter, but, of course,
> it costs roughly triple the price of a regular filter.<<<<

Jeeeesh at that price I'd be buying a bunch more film! Then shooting the
daylights out of every scene with the 24 as a personal photo assignment
learning curve to see the effects under as many conditions as I could.
Certainly before I'd waste good dollars on a slim Jim or any other thickness
filter. Unless it was purchased for light correction or visual enhancement
of the scene... which a UV filter will hardly be noticed using a modern
Leica lens.

Yep at one time I confess I had UV filters on every lens I owned and as each
lens was purchased the first next buy was, you guessed it, a "UV filter to
protect the lens!" Damn waste of money each and everytime! I mean think
about it. Do you go around banging the front element on things without a
filter? And occasionally a filter smashed can scratch the glass due to glass
shards to glass surface contact. When if you didn't have the filter on you
may not have done anything but a minor bump to the lens causing no damage at
all.

UV filters are a good profit maker for shops and in many, not all, the
counter staff are encouraged to "flog a filter" with every new lens sold, on
the premise of the old wives tales, "Oh man with an expensive Leica lens I'd
have a UV filter for protection!"        In capital letters.....  "Bul
sht!"   :-)

The only time you may need a filter is if you're at sea and getting salt
water spray. The desert, sand on the lens and possibly scratching it,
although having been in a couple of good sand blows over the years without
filters, I've never experienced this phenomenon, just blew it off and used
the old fashion under shorts lens cleaning cloth to finish the job. :-)

So me old son, think hard about spending good money for a filter unless you
require one for effect.... to Polarize or colour enhance a sunrise or set.

My humble opinion of course. ;-)

ted