Subject: Re: [Leica] lens suggestions for IIIF
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:49:57 -0500

Frederic,

I've noticed no green cast to either the coated or uncoated, normal or Red Scale Elmars.  If money is a consideration, I find the Elmar look-alike Industar 50 (the recomputed version of the Industar 22) to be as good as any Red Scale Elmar, and you can get about ten of these for the price of a RS Elmar.  If you want to stick to Leica 50mm lenses and the lens doesn't have to be quite
as compact as an Elmar, you can't get a better bargain than a postwar coated Summitar, which should set you back a little over $100.  Less compact would be a 50mm f1.5 Jupiter 3, which is a copy of the Zeiss Sonnar (less than $100, but you may have to go through several to get a good one), or a 50mm f1.8 Canon Serenar, which is better made and more consistent than the Jupiters.
Also a bit more expensive.  Any of these lenses will look right for the vintage of your IIIf and should make you happy with the results.

Mark