Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 Exposure
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:36:39 -0800

J. Gilbert Plantinga wrote:

> You're kidding right? Even if you use a manual camera and a spot meter,
> you can't possibly get two medium grey horses unless you take two shots
> on different pieces of film. Duh...
>
> The best way to find out what will actually happen is to buy an M7 and
> forget about this nonsense!<<<<

Hi Gilbert,
You know I've never been one for all the exposure things that people come up
with about black walls, a person in white etc, OK white horse, black horse.
And all the other exposure questions folks seem to have.
Just shoot the damn picture and get on to the next! ;-)

My concern has always been from the beginning, the final photograph and it's
content. So since using an M7 for seven months, until the second one arrived
at least four months ago I've been pumping film with 2 M7's on auto and
never a screwed-up exposure !

Heck I realize I'm supposed to know all this technical stuff to be a better
photographer, well OK better technician, or one would think I should know it
by now after 50 years. But my problem has always been I'm too damn busy
shooting to be worried about who's on black or white! :-)

The M7 is up to eye and shutter tripped when the content composition, light,
eyes, action motivate to shoot..... and that's all I do without a thought of
what the exposure is other than it's fast enough for me to hand hold.

I know for some folks that's blasphemy to be so cavalier about shooting,
exposure and the many myriad's of technical things some folks worry about.
But in reality my shooting method for the past 51 years has been pretty
close to how I do it today simply because, I want to be a picture taker, not
a worrier of how to and why.

>>> The best way to find out what will actually happen is to buy an M7 and
> forget about this nonsense!<<<<

So with your great wisdom of, "buy the M7 and forget all this nonsense" it
seems as about common sense logical as picture taking can be. ;-)

ted