Subject: RE: [Leica] 1Ds digital results
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:25:15 -0500

It very much depends on the lens, Peter - There is no question, for
instance, that the performance of the 21 2.8 ASPH M lens is superior
- -certainly in terms of distortion, to any Nikon prime, or zoom, at 21.
On the other hand, I believe the performance of the 85 1.4 to be every
bit as good as that of the Leica M 75 1.4 - in fact, to my eyes the
performance is identical.

There is no question that the latest versions of the M lenses are pretty
amazing - I am blown away by the Summicron 28, and have long been a fan
of the 35 Summilux ASPH. And, no the Nikon 28 1.4 at 1.4 doesn't match
the Summicron 28 at f2 - but again I'm  talking general impressions, as
I no longer own the Nikon. I will say, however, that that Nikon is a
very impressive lens, and there are times when I wish I still had the
extra stop - although, given that I can handhold the M successfully at
lower shutter speeds than I can shoot with the f100, the loss of the
stop may be a wash.

B. D.