Subject: RE: [Leica] 1Ds digital results
From: "Douglas Herr"<telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:34:46 -0800

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:21:11 -0500 bdcolen <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I know - It's a true pain in the butt to try to
> look at this in a
> vaguely objective way...:-)

Especially if you don't want to spend your time testing
lenses/films/technologies.  However, experience with each system will over
time give one an impression of the relative strengths and weaknesses of each.
Rather than wasting his time on an exhaustive testing procedure, Robert
pointed out a couple of his existing photos which illustrate his cumulative
experience with each system.

Similarly, I could illustrate the difference in bokeh between the 250mm
Telyt-R and 280mm f/4.8 Telyt-V without a controlled test, because I've had
enough experience with each lens to get a good feel for the imaging properties
of each.  I don't have to use a static subject with identical lighting, film
and tripod leg tension to compare them.  My field experience tells me how each
lens performs.  Robert has the experience using both film and digital systems
with APO lenses and lacking evidence to the contrary I'll trust his judgement.

Doug Herr<BR>Birdman of Sacramento<BR>http://www.wildlightphoto.com