Subject: Re: [Leica] b/w and color
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:55:05 -0500

On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 02:00 PM, Randy Jensen wrote:

> I'm sorry that I don't have the actual quote, but in The Mind's Eye (an
> Aperture book of writings on photography by HCB) he makes a comment
> about
> color photography and why it generally doesn't "work."  There are too
> many
> factors, and you can't control color like you can in painting and
> other art.
>
> I wish I had the exact quote!  If anyone wants it, I'll post it
> tomorrow!
> :)  But it made sense to me when I read it.  B/W doesn't have that
> extra
> complication which can detract from the image's geometry.

Bizarre. Really bizarre.

Is photography really about 'geometry'? Funny, I thought that was
geometry.

Might it possibly also be about 'color' in certain circumstances?

Why is it harder to control color in photography than geometry? Are you
in the habit of tearing inconveniently placed buildings down before you
trip the shutter?

Is it just me or is there an increasing tendency to substitute 'stuff I
read somewhere' for actual thought on this list?

And, Austin, salt+coffee = piss+vinegar

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com