Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital versus film (LONG!!)
From: "Mark Pope" <leica.user@ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:41:14 -0000

Martin,

a well thought out and eloquently put point of view.  Having recently
acquired a new inkjet printer, flat bed scanner and with a film scanner on
the way, I can concur with your cost of entry and cost of use arguments.  My
PC is a 450Mhz PIII with an 8Gb drive.  I recently scanned 32 10 x 8 inch
prints in .tiff format for post processing in photoshop.  They occupied just
over 1Gb of space.  So now I'm thinking - new, bigger hard disk, faster
processor and not to mention bigger monitor etc. etc.  It's like a Leica
addiction only less rewarding IMO.

I had been thinking about a digital camera to supplement my outfit, but the
only advantage that it would give me over my 35mm or MF outfits is reduced
time from taking the image to getting a print.  As I'm not a pro who works
to deadlines, this isn't an issue for me, so the hybrid approach is ideal in
my situation.

I think that this will be an interesting and (hopefully) enlightening
thread.

Regards

Mark Pope
Swindon Wilts, UK