Subject: [Leica] Digital versus film (LONG!!)
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:27:46 -0800

Brent Dorsett wrote:

> Now, after a year of shooting digitally ( E20N and D100 ), if I'm
> really
> honest with myself, I can see little future for film.

(Oh dear.  Here we go again.)

Top five reasons film will still be around for quite some time:

1)  Cost of entry.

A film camera doesn't require a powerful computer, good screen, or
photo-grade printer in addition to the camera.  While it is true that
one-hour photo services will probably accept memory cards and produce
reasonable prints (to an increasing degree), the serious amateur is not
going to be happy with this quality -- just as they are not happy with
1h pictures from Kodak Gold 400.

You can buy a good secondhand MF TLR for a few hundred dollars, load it
with come ISO 100 film and get fabulous chromes or negatives.  A photo
lab can then print large, wall-filling enlargements from those for a
few tenths of dollars.  The comparative quality in digital is about an
order of magnitude greater in cost (unless you cheat, and drum-scan an
MF negative).

2)  Cost of use.

No-one knows how long memory cards will last (I've read one estimate
that they should be replaced after being filled to capacity ten times).
  CD-Rs (and presumably DVD-Rs too) have limited life span.  Inkjets
require expensive inks.  Hard-drives fill up and require replacement.
When digital equipment breaks, the remedy is replacement, not repair.

My 1959 M2 and 2001 M6TTL will require service about once every 5-10
years at around $100-$200 a pop, but they will last (except possibly
the electronics in the M6) for the next 30 years, and probably much
longer than that.  That's $1,000 in service cost vs. ten computer
system replacements (assuming nothing else happens).

By buying cheap film in bulk when available, and doing my own
processing and printing, I can keep my costs down.  I haven't done the
calculation, but my guess is that it's less than digital on something
like a yearly basis for the quantities that many serious amateurs (or
fine art photographers) shoot and the uses they have.

Not only that, but I'd expect the difference in cost to become more
advantageous to chemical photography over time, at least in the next
5-10 years.  Assuming that large numbers of people (not least, working
MF pros) shed their cameras to get into digital photography,
supply-and-demand in the s/h market suggests that the cost (user) gear
will drop until it hits rock bottom, at which point, it ought to keep
roughly pace with inflation (assuming it's still useful). (Corollary:
collectors stuff (i.e., truly mint items) will probably rise in price
[no more manufacturing, nostalgia])

3)  Ease of use.

Many cameras do not require any batteries.  You can do without a light
meter in many cases and for those that can't, batteries for something
like a Sekonic 286 last on the order of years.  As a result, you can
travel to remote corners of the world with little more than your camera
and lightmeter and it'll work.  You don't need to carry heavy extra
camera and computer batteries, power supplies, card readers, cables,
and a set of wall-socket conversion plugs so that you can actually use
all your stuff.

Skills you learn today in the darkroom don't need to be relearned in
three years time, when the manufacturers bring out a new enlarger, or
better trays.  Try that with Photoshop.  Or operating systems, for
extra fun.

4) Longevity.

The speed of digital technological development means that computers are
effectively outdated three years after being introduced -- certainly
after five -- at which point, they need to be replaced.  Digital
cameras seem to have a lifespan of about a year, after which you can't
give them away (try selling a s/h Olympus C-2 today: discontinued about
six months ago).  I can still shoot with a 1935 Leica.  I can't, in any
practical sense of the word, use a 1985 computer any more, and forget
about three year old digital cameras.

Case in point: A few (2-3) years ago, Apple decided to switch from ADB
and SCSI to USB and FireWire.  Today, it is nearly impossible to find
card readers, storage devices, scanners, or printers which will connect
to those older machines.  And lets not even talk about finding drivers
for OSs which are a generation or two out of date.

My negatives will still exist 30 years from now.  Keeping them in a
readable form is essentially free, assuming proper processing.  Keeping
my digital files in a readable form is going to require a considerable
investment in new storage media every 3-5 years.

A good machine shop can remanufacture out a broken or missing piece of
a mechanical camera -- although it can be expensive, it is possible.
Almost no resources can recreate an outdated proprietary integrated
circuit that has burnt out.

5) Miscellany

It's fun buying odd films and giving them a try.  The look of Orwo-27
in Rodinal is vastly different from Tri-X in XTOL.  Digital tends to
look uniform, because the tools are uniform.  I can decide one
afternoon to mix up my own chemicals, as can most if they'd like to try
it, but few can sit down and write Photoshop plug-ins.  Especially not
in an afternoon.

Aesthetics are different.  While digital is good, I'm sceptical as to
whether it will ever manage to reproduce the qualities of an 11x14
platinum-palladium contact print from an LF negative.  To some people,
that sort of stuff matters more than resolution or colour fidelity.

Digital encoding is great up to its limits, then it breaks down
quickly.  Pixellation and digital clipping are two examples.  Analogue
encoding breaks down gradually and "gracefully" -- grain and distortion
are two examples.  Some (most?) people prefer analogue degradation to
digital.  Pushing the limits and getting away with it is possible with
analogue media -- but essentially impossible with digital.  So, with
digital media, you either have all the right (expensive) equipment to
do the job right -- in which case, quality is great -- or you don't do
it at all.  Doing it "on the cheap" is typically not an option.  (Seen
fine art done with a Diana or Agfa Clack?  Yep.  Done with a 640x480
digicam?  Didn't think so).

Hybrid users are likely to be around for quite some time -- keeping
chemical film alive, perhaps even after the demise of photographic
paper.  Buying a "normal" camera and shooting film, developing this,
and then scanning it (either yourself, or having a pro lab do it) is a
"cheap" way of getting into digital photography -- especially if you
already have a computer and printer.  You save the costs associated
with camera technology and (some) storage devices.

In fact, it's likely that many of the "prosumer" or serious amateur
photographers will choose this route, thinking it's the best of both
worlds (personally, I think it's the worst of both... ;)

6) Parting thoughts.

I don't think that "digital is a fad".  Nor do I think that "film will
disappear in the near future".  They will co-exist.  For many
professionals, digital photography offers many advantages over chemical
photography.  For most non-professionals, digital photography offers
many advantages over chemical photography.  But for most *serious*
amateurs (including many on this list, fine art photographers [pro or
amatuer], and suchlike), however, I would argue that chemical
photography has many advantages over digital.  In fact, I wouldn't be
surprised if we see a resurgance of interest in chemical photography in
about five-ten years, much like there has been in analogue audio (LPs,
tube amps, horn speakers) with better materials and higher quality than
today, but more specialized users.

The wooden LF field camera has survived despite the advent of MF, 35mm,
APS, Polaroid, and other formats.  Despite the ease of use of 35mm AF
SLRs.  Despite the lack of 1h processing, or the ability to walk into
Wal-Mart and find a replacement 8x10 film holder when you drop yours in
the parking lot.  I don't see chemical film dying any time soon,
although it will, of course, change in nature.

While naïve empiricism is the basis for all human experience (if you
stare at it hard enough), it forms a poor basis for prediction of the
future.

OK, I've done it: I've stuck my head on the block.  Keep this email (or
go to the LUG archives in December 2007) and see how I did... ;)

M.

Replies: Reply from "Mark Pope" <leica.user@ntlworld.com> (Re: [Leica] Digital versus film (LONG!!))