Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW wk51/sl
From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@icommag.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:15:12 -0400

Ted Grant writes:

> Steve LeHuray showed PAW wk51/sl:

>> http://www.streetphoto.net/paw2002/paw2wk51.html
>
> Hi Steve,
> What I always like about your PAW's is the naturalness of light and location
> in a wide range of subjects, usually involving city folks where one might be
> apprehensive about shooting. In your case it's always see it, go for it! :-)
>
> I like this photo because of the above qualities, however, the guy looking
> directly at you takes the edge off what would be a captured city life
> moment, in my humble opinion. If the seated guy was also on one those
> ubiquitous cell phones no one can live without these days, I'd have been a
> happy camper completely. :-)
>
> I also know you like to capture life as you see it and that being the case,
> what was the exact motivation moment for shooting this?  The guy on the
> phone mid background or the guy looking at you?
>
> ted

Thanks Ted,

Normally I agree with you about the man looking at the camera and seldom use
those shots. But looking deeper for my motivation with this photo, starting
with him looking at the camera; to me the man's physical look, the shadow
around his eyes, the furrowed brow, the oversized shaved head sitting on a
badly out of shape body, the big round belly, the cane says he is probably
not well. Then using a cinematic technique of having the cameras eye
dominate him from above, he seems to be in a vulnerable position. Then
contrast him with the two other men who are well dressed and fit, he seems
out of place.

So now after 103 straight weeks of posting weekly PAWs, one more to go. Then
comes the hard part; editing down 156 PAW images to what I think are the
best 5. Will post those around the 1st.

And I want to give you a big thank you for all the valuable critiques over
the past two years.

Ted, I hope you and your family have the best Christmas ever.

Warm regards,

sl