Subject: Re: [Leica] Source for 39mm graduated neutral density filters?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 18:49:15 -0500

Using a screw in graduated ND filter soon becomes unappealing as the
transition from light to dark must always be the same: same location, same
transition, usually dead center.  Most serious users use a long grad so that
they can move the transition zone to wherever it is needed.

Typically, you need to view the effect at working aperture as the effect
changes significantly as you stop down.  There is only one thing worse than
a bright line at the horizon where you missed the transition and that is
putting the transition somewhere below the horizon.

If you are on a large budget then have Singh-Ray custom make a filter to
your specs.  If you typically use it on one lens you could even have one
made with a double split, one for the lens and one for the viewfinder.
http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

I will say having a grad in your bag comes in handy in amazing ways.
Someone mentioned using one to block city lights, I have used them as a ND
at water falls and to darken parts of a scene to add drama.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com