Subject: Re: [Leica] Caution when using the 1.25x magnifier
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 07:30:24 -0800

Henry Ting
Subject: [Leica] Caution when using the 1.25x magnifier

> Just want to throw caution in the air when using the
> 1.25x magnifier.
>
> I volunteered to be our party's photographer during
> the New Year's Eve party. After about 3 rolls of
> films, I swapped a 90 Cron and then screw in the 1.25x
> viewfiner for some close-up shots. During the
> excitment of the shooting, and when some folks were
> getting rowdy someone shoved me and I bumped my camera
> just as I was framing a shot. Well the protruding
> 1.25x can really hurt and I got a "black eye" as well
> as a bruised cornea.
>
> I just want to warn the folks here about the danger of
> the eyepiece design. The protrusion fits the eyeball
> perfectly and unlike the ordinary eyepiece where your
> entire face touches the camera while framing a shot,
> the 1.25x mag's only anchor point is against your
> eyeball. So when the going gets hot......watch out.<<<<<<

Henry,
Thanks for the observation, but in reality one isn't usually going around
being bumped by drunks.  :-( Under "normal working conditions" the 1.25
isn't that much of a physical problem.

It's much like a car crash observation.......  " I'd like to warn people
about the steering wheel in their car. Gee I was driving down the street and
a guy crashed into me and if it weren't for the steering wheel being where
it was I'd have been OK!" ;-)

I know, yeah right. Com'n it's early morning and I haven't taken my two
rolls of film in the Leica yet!! ;-)
ted