Subject: Re: [Leica] Constructive Criticism
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 14:20:03 -0800

Jerry Lehrer asked a logical common sense question! :

> LUGers
>
> Why do so many of you get defensive when Nathan gives such
> cogent, germane and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism?
>
> Those were comments from someone who can produce superb
> photos himself,  not from a critic who "only knows what he
> likes".
>
> Your work is up there for all to see.  You should welcome
> comments, not reject them like a spoiled child.<<<<

And Gerry the answer is.... some can take it and accept comments good, bad
and ugly. They accept and learn!

Then you have those who ask for comment, but by the Holy fella Himself, say
one tiny item negative in a constructive fashion and they're mighty pissed
off royally because one said anything but.."gee great picture I love it!"

When in truth it should never have been shot in the first place, let alone
getting past file 13 waste bucket.. period.

I trust this helps understand your comment     >>> Your work is up there for
all to see.  You should welcome
> comments, not reject them like a spoiled child.<<<<  because they don't
know any better and are spoiled and do not accept comments that are not
within they're ability to understand they ain't as good as they think they
are.

Yep and sometimes I run hard at them when they ask to be critiqued, and yes
sometimes I don't mess around with words in a puffery state of BS. But when
they ask for comments I call them the way 50 years experience as a working
professional calls them because that's how they really learn. Not sweet ass
talking to them like they're little children.

And when I do I always try, although I don't make it sometimes, but I try to
give the options of how to improve it or why I wouldn't have shot it. And
yes I allow many folks are amateurs and in many cases they are learning. But
one doesn't learn anything if they don't get their ass kicked sometimes to
get the right message, certainly when we see some of the carelessly posted
photography.

Now stand back from the screen as I can already feel the heat incoming
before this even is sent. :-)  Oh well. :-(
ted

Replies: Reply from "\(SonC\) Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Constructive Criticism)
Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Constructive Criticism)