Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Leica and Sears
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 21:43:20 -0700

howard cummer wrote part:

> Hi Austin,
> I have an original Sears Canada camera equipment catalogue from 1958
> where they sell Leica M3's in two versions with different 50mm lenses
> for about C$250 - 300 each, depending on the lens, as well as Tower
> and Nikon rangefinders. Given that a new North American car was about
> C$3 - 4,000 (I'm guessing here - maybe older timers can help me out on
> the actual price) these cameras were pretty expensive. Of course this
> was a long forgotten era when the C$ was about equal to the US$. This
> catalogue is in my Canadian storage and not readily accessible, but I
> really do have it and will share a copy with you, with pleasure, when
> I finally get to it. :-)
> Cheers
> Howard (in Hong Kong)

Hi Howard,

I suspect that the M3 would have been just about the most expensive item
in the 1958 Simpson Sears Catalog. 1958 is a little before my time, but
I do know that the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar for
a number of years post W.W.II and worth about $1.05 in 1974.

Sadly, this is not the case today.

Regards,

Greg