Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Epson 2200 for B/W. What's the verdict?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:56:10 -0800

Simon Stevens wrote:

> My apologies if this has been answered before.  I did a search of the
> archives and didn't find anything.
>
> What's the verdict on the Epson 2200 for black and white?  I have a chemical
> darkroom, but I no longer have enough time to use it.  I'd like to switch to
> a digital darkroom but while I have been very impressed with the results
> from Piezography, I don't think I have the time nor patience for that
> either.
>
> On paper, the Epson 2200 looks pretty good. I have heard good things about
> it as a color printer, but I haven't talked to anyone who does serious B/W
> who has one to get a verdict on the results from scanned B/W negatives.  How
> do the results compare with a chemical darkroom?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Simon Stevens
>
> --

I've been trying to get a 2200 but you have to know someone and I don't
know them. I'd love to get one this week.

I've heard that with it's "two shades of black" you can get great black
and white results from it.
Although i usually work from a quadtone set up this year i did some
large prints with my color printer which is larger than my 750 which is
set up for quadtone.

I enjoyed with my color printer being able to really pump in some "print
color" on a big time basis. Sometimes subtlety was not the first
perogetive.  ... make that priority.

I'd  miss that ability once i finally convert my 2200 once i get it and
once they come out with the quadtone or cinctone or sextone grey pod clusters.

The idea of pigments not dyes really appeals to me.

Inkjets I feel when they are behind glass are often indistinguishable
from darkroom prints. Sometimes we feel they are a bit better. Other
times we which we'd gone down to our darkrooms.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

mark@rabinergroup.com