Subject: RE: [Leica] Service in NJ on USA warrented and bought equipment
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:58:36 -0500

> I think the "problem' lies in the place of purchase of the lens. Many
> companies are cracking down VERY hard on gray market equipment. I know at
> least a dozen Nikon Pro members/ news shooters who have recently been told
> by Nikon that they would NOT fix lenses etc. bought gray, and
> that they had
> to be sent back to Japan for months, or the owner needed to look
> elsewhere.
> even 'small' things are getting tossed back. It's something to think about
> when buying gray nowadays!

Ed,

Personally, I believe that Nikon should be FORCED, by some legal measure, to
fix items that are under a NIKON warranty, same with Leica etc., no matter
where it was bought from.  The automobile dealers have had this issue all
figured out for many decades.  You bring a GM car under warranty to a GM
dealer ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD and the dealer submits the paperwork to GM, and
the dealer gets paid.

What IS the problem with these arrogant camera manufacturers?  It, to me, is
simply a game to protect profits of distributors.  In fact, as has been
discussed here, the damned manufacturers sell the gear in the first place, I
mean,  Nikon camera CAME from Nikon, right?  And came with a warranty.
Nikon should have a system in place where by that camera gets the warranty
service, and in a reasonable manner.  Sending it to Japan for months, when
the local repair center is fully capable of repairing it is simply
unreasonable, in my book.

Austin