Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Scanner problems
From: "Mark Pope" <leica.user@ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:23:48 -0000

Gerry,

sorry to hear that you are having problems.  Have you tried scanning at
different resolutions or different film formats?  If it was a buffer
problem, then I would think that lower resolutions and smaller formats would
work OK, whereas higher resolutions wouldn't.  Also, have you tried scanning
using the native tools that come with the scanner to see if they make any
difference?

Are you running the scanner through a USB hub?  I think Canon recommend a
direct connection to a USB port on the PC.  You might also want to try
another USB port, assuming you have one free.

Another possibility is that the USB cable is causing a problem - unlikely
but possible.  Are you using the cable that was supplied with the Canon?

The other question I have is for you is have you replaced another scanner
with the Canon?

FWIW, I had some initial problems with my D2400U.  My problem was that I
replaced an el-cheapo Primax scanner with it.  However, the TWAIN driver
didn't work properly and the quality of some of the scans using the film
hood were not brilliant.  In fact the canon utilities gave better scans than
using photoshop elements.  What's more, PSE still had the primax scanner in
its import menu.

I think that there was some vestigial code left over from the Primax
installation that somehow upset the Canon.  I wonder whether you may have a
similar problem?

You may not want to read the next bit....In the end, I backed up all of my
data, formatted the hard drive (not for the faint hearted), re-installed the
OS (Windows 98) and then reinstalled all of the applications and hardware.
It took me all day to reinstall everything and another half day to update
the OS with all of the lates patches for the OS.   It runs like a charm now
(fingers crossed).  I'd be surprised if 512Mb is insufficient.  I'm running
a D2400U on a PIII 450 with an 8Gb hard drive and 512Mb RAM.

Hope that helps,

regards

Mark Pope
Swindon Wilts, UK