Subject: Re: [Leica] (way off topic and overly opinionated) Apple for a died in the wool Windows guy
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 09:52:05 +0100

Hi Marc,

I was thinking of getting an Apple since everyone says how great they
are for Photoshop work and I must confess to also having a dislike for
Microsoft's dominance and so would have liked to support an alternative.
However, I ended up getting another Wintel machine with lots of memory
and Win XP Pro. Why? Because:

(1) I was able to have the computer built to my specifications for a
very reasonable price--I do not know of any Apple shops in the area that
would do that;

(2) The price;

(3) and most importantly: despite all I hear about how compatible
Apple-based MS Office can be with the larger Windows world, my
experience says otherwise. Every time I have received a document made on
an Apple from someone, it does not work *exactly* the same way on the
PC. Sure, it opens and looks more or less OK, but there is always some
problem with formatting that does not translate right etc. And since I
need to share the documents I create at home with people who use almost
exclusively Windows, I have to be sure that they see what I send them.
And that would simply not the case if I had an Apple.

Nathan

Marc Attinasi wrote:
> Dude, Mac's rock, wintel PC's suck. If you want cheap, well, you'll
> probably get what you pay for, but for a reasonable price you can get a
> nice Mac that will work, as you expect it to, all the time.  I have not
> turned on my Win2K / Pentium machine in at least a year now, but I keep
> it just 'cause some applications have succumbed to the dark side and
> only make Windows versions :-)  As a software developer myself, I know
> how easy it is to fall into the DMS (Downward Microsoft Spiral), but
> anyway, spend $1500 and get an iMac, put it in your living room, you
> won't be sorry. Leave the Win2K box in the studio where nobody will see
> it. You can even run MS Office on the Mac, in case you cannot totally
> leave the mainstream - it works great and is extremely compatible (I
> have to use it for work). Ha! I even run Win98 on my Mac sometimes, when
> I have to use MS Visio which only runs on Windows. That feels strange,
> but it is an option and it works well.
>
> Cheers!
> - marc

- --