Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri Elmar Repair
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:15:57 -0700

Sorry for the point by point which I find annoying myself.
On Sunday, January 19, 2003, at 10:57 PM, Kit McChesney | Acmefoto
wrote:

> Austin--

And a hello to Kit as well...

> International warranties are honored by Leica USA, but the repair will
> be
> done in Germany.

Absolutely FALSE, please contact Leica USA if you do not believe me or
the statements in the archive from Leica USA.

> Leica USA warranties are honored outside the U.S., but the
> camera has to be sent to the U.S. for repairs.

Absolutely FALSE, please contact Leica USA if you do not believe me or
the statements in the archive from Leica USA.

> The Leica USA Passport
> Protection Plan Warranty is a special warranty paid for by Leica USA,
> over
> and above the Leica warranty provided by the factory. It is the
> equivalent
> of a special insurance policy that provides extra protection (plus an
> additional year as well as protection for conditions over and above the
> usual international warranty coverage) beyond the international
> warranty.
>
> Yes, Leica USA will honor the warranty in the sense that they will
> take the
> lens in at the New Jersey Leica USA offices, and then send the lens
> off to
> Germany for repair, where the repairs are undertaken and paid for by
> Leica
> AG. But they don't do the warranty service in the U.S. for non-U.S.
> warrantied lenses.

Absolutely FALSE, please contact Leica USA if you do not believe me or
the statements in the archive from Leica USA.

> I think not enough folks in the U.S. (or outside the U.S.) know about
> the
> special protection of the U.S. warranty. Naturally, you won't find
> Leica
> dealers outside the U.S. pushing people to buy a U.S. Leica, as it
> carries a
> better warranty than the international warranty.

Several other Leica distributors now offer the "Passport" program
(Canada, UK, etc)

> Leica USA doesn't "shirk" their responsibility to repair the lens
> under the
> non-US warranty; it is my understanding, on information provided me by
> our
> representative, that the lens will be forwarded to Germany for the
> repairs.

Absolutely FALSE, please contact Leica USA if you do not believe me or
the statements in the archive from Leica USA.

> If you want to know more, you can contact Leica USA for further
> clarification.

Something I would recommend you do!

I get the impression you are a dealer! No wonder Leica is doing so
poorly if their own dealers are so ignorant of basic warranty policy.
This kind of misinformation does a great deal of damage to Leica's
reputation.

John Collier