Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri Elmar Repair
From: Michael Cahill <mcahill2@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 06:08:08 -0500

On 1/19/03 9:44 PM, "Kit McChesney | Acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com> wrote:

> Mike--
>
> Because you bought the lens in Germany, and not in the U.S., your warranty
> must be serviced in Germany, rather than by Leica USA. All non-U.S.
> warranties are international warranties, and Leica USA does not honor them
> (re: pay for repairs). They will forward the camera or lens on to Germany
> for you, which will save you shipping costs, but they will not service the
> product under the warranty. If you want to pay for the service, they will
> undertake the repair in the U.S. There is a U.S. repair facility, and they
> can undertake repairs of any Leica product, but they only provide free or
> warranty coverage for Leica USA products.
>
> Conversely, if you bought your lens or camera in the U.S., with a full Leica
> USA Passport Protection Plan warranty, and were outside the U.S. and needed
> a warranty repair, Leica AG (Germany) would be happy to repair the product
> for you for a fee, but would not honor the USA warranty. Leica USA will not
> pay for warranty repairs on non-USA products; likewise, Leica AG will not
> pay for repairs on USA Passport Protection Plan warranties.
>
> This is why the USA Passport Protection Plan warranty is so valuable,
> especially for U.S. buyers, and why so many non-U.S. buyers will purchase a
> Leica USA product. Even with the extra shipping costs from outside the U.S.,
> the USA warranty makes it more than worth it.
>
> This illustrates another reason why it is always important to be sure that
> you haven't bought a "gray market" product in the U.S. that is not a genuine
> Leica USA warrantied product. The USA warranty is the best in the world. It
> is also more comprehensive than a standard international warranty, covering
> accidents like dropped equipment, etc.
>
> Kit McChesney
>
> --
> acmefoto | acme online sales, inc
> post office box 777 | louisville, colorado 80027 usa
> www.acmefoto.com | kitmc@acmefoto.com
> --
>
> --

Hi Kit,

I spoke to the folks at Leica NJ last week.  The returning the lens to
Germany has nothing to do with warranties.  The lens is within Leica's usual
worldwide warranty period and would have been repaired at any Leica Service
center.  The problem is that Leica NJ does not repair Tri-Elmars, they are
all returned to Germany.  When I purchased the lens in Germany I was assured
that the Leica International warranty would apply too any Leica product
purchased anywhere in the world.  If you are thinking of buying a Tri_Elmar
buy one on the gray market.  Paying additional for a Passport warranty in
this case is a waste of money.

Mike
Michael Cahill
Mt. Laurel, NJ  08054