Subject: Re: [Leica] Traveling by air with RapidWinder?
From: Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:42:24 -0800 (PST)

Yes, the thought that it might be monitored had
occurred to me - which means that the cat's out of the
bag, and there's no longer anything to lose by asking.
As the general opinion appears to be that it IS a
potential weapon, then if I was flying (and I've taken
300+ flights over the last 3 years - not bad for
someone who isn't a drug courier - I wouldn't want a
mad LUGer on board with one. ;)
Seriously, it looks like there are three choices: (a)
check it in; (b) leave it behind; and (c) run the risk
of losing it, being banged up for several hours and
having a body cavity inspection.
Lastly, our main family holiday last year was to New
England. On flying back through Logan, the hand
baggage scan picked up a pair of scissors in a first
aid kit in my wife's baggage. Much to my horror, they
allowed us on with them. I simply can't begin to
imagine that that would've happened at any of the
European airports I use regularly, but was absolutely
stunned that it could happen there, of all places.

Nick