Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Real War
From: Nick Roberts <nickbroberts@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:15:16 -0800 (PST)

Although that claim later caused Simpson much
embarassment, it was actually not a million miles from
the truth, as I recall. He simply walked in with a
camera crew before any army got there - the Taliban
had largely gone. As I recall, a similar thing
happened in the Falklands Conflict (we're not supposed
to call it a war), when a couple of journalists walked
into Port Stanley to find the Argentinians
surrendering. And that was a war with VERY tight media
control - famously, a TV reporter on one of the
aircraft carriers was not allowed to give ANY details
of potential losses during a sortie, which he got
around with the phrase "I counted them all out, and I
counted them all back".

As for the rest of the world's view on US policy, well
British support isn't wavering. There has NEVER been
public support for a new war on Iraq, and there is
undoubtedly a perception here that Bush wants a war
for oil reasons. Which is hardly surprising given his
rejection of serious efforts to tackle global warming
etc. and the reporting that his personal wealth comes
largely form oil - Bush is simply not trusted here,
nor in many other countries, I think. And although
France and Russia in particular have strong oil links
with Iraq, French public opinion is driven less by
that than by antipathy towards Bush - he simply stands
for everything that the French detest about America
(that is perceived imperialism and non-Frenchness).
And the other big British/European worry is that an
attack on Iraq would be perceived as a crusade against
Islam, with potentially disastrous results. It's not
hard to see the "evidence" in this argument: on the
one hand, attacks on the fundamentalist Taliban and
Iraq, and support for Israel against the Palistinians,
and the argument against? Action in Kosovo. Now I
personally don't believe for a minute that there is a
western crusade against Islam, nor do I believe that
many Brits believe it - but they believe that the
Islamic world believes it.

I also believe Saddam is an evil dictator who should
be removed, I believe that he should not be allowed to
rebuild his arsenal of weapons of mass destruction for
the good of the world, and the Iraqi people and their
neighbours in particular. But then the same goes for
North Korea. I am also extremely suspicious of Bush's
motives - WHY NOW? Saddam has never obeyed UN
resolutions, and IMO enforcement action should've
taken place long, long ago.
I'm sure that the need to protect oil supply is part
of it (and I'm amazed that the US hasn't done a deal
with France and Russia whereby their oil contracts
would be protected in return for support - perhaps
they have), but I think mostly it's to provide a
distraction from the fact that the war against Al
Quaeda is not only not won, it's probably unwinnable,
at least in the sense that you can never protect 100%
against terrorist attack without invoking controls so
draconian that the terrorists in effect win. And by
continuing to pursue the policies of "anyone who is
not with me is against me", and "my enemy's enemy is
my friend", injustices will be perpetuated around the
world by support of people like Saddam, and inevitably
this will result in a continuing supply of terrorist
recruits.
So the US should tread carefully - nobody will shed a
tear for Saddam, but there are enormously grave
genuine concerns amongst the people in her closest
allies. They may be right, they may be unfounded -
that doesn't actually matter: it's perceptions that
count, and by simply ignoring these perceptions,
opinions and concerns the US does itself enormous harm
- - and I say this as a genuine friend.

Anyway, that's my tuppence chucked in the pot.

Nick

- --- Brian David Stevens <briandavidstevens@talk21.com>