Subject: [Leica] Re: Stuff in the hand baggage and high density object
From: Bill Lawlor <wvl@infinex.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:48:13 -0800

 On flying back through Logan, the hand
baggage scan picked up a pair of scissors in a first
aid kit in my wife's baggage. Much to my horror, they
allowed us on with them. I simply can't begin to
imagine that that would've happened at any of the
European airports I use regularly, but was absolutely
stunned that it could happen there, of all places.

In June I flew to Istanbul from San Francisco on BA via London and return.
When packing my hand baggage I included a well-traveled plastic bag with  a
fork and spoon, salt, pepper, knapkins, asprin, and some energy bars all
which had been on other trips with me in recent years. I passed inspection
at SFO, spent a five hour layover at Heathrow, re-embarked to go on to
Istanbul, and repeated the same itinerary on return four weeks later. At
Heathrow I was asked to surrender the fork in my hand baggage. A stainless
steel fork and spoon were in that bag the entire trip but I forgot about
them. Why did it take four inspections to discover the fork? I hope the new
TSA security employees in the USA are more professional. My only eperience
with the new guys was before a recent flight to Salt Lake City, being asked
to open my bag and reveal a "high density object" detected by X-Ray. It's
true, an M3 is high density by today's standards of camera construction.

Bill Lawlor