Subject: [Leica] O.58x observations and questions
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 17:31:53 -0700

I like my 0.58 TTL, the 35 mm framelines have lots of space around them
so it is easy to fiddle with the composition. It's when I mount a
longer lens that I start to have problems. Occasionally I want to use
the 90AA or the Noctilux on it and I find fine focusing very difficult
if not impossible. So I sat down with my 0.58 and 0.72 TTLs and closely
compared the finders.

- - the 0.58x finder's superimposed image is not as clear as the one in
the 0.72x finder. It is has less contrast and it is slightly fuzzy.

- - the 0.58x finder's superimposed image moves a great deal as you move
your eye around in the eyepiece.

These two things mean that you just cannot use a Noctilux or 90 with my
0.58x. It is strange as focusing the 35 is absolutely no problem. It
must be that my brain realizes that the focusing is not as critical and
relaxes. I have no problems focusing either the Noctilux or 90AA wide
open and close with my 0.72 camera.

So my questions are:

1) If you have a 0.58x camera, do you have similar difficulty with the
longer lenses?

2) If you have a 0.58x and a 0.72x camera, can you see the difference
in sharpness, contrast and stability of the superimposed image?

Perhaps my camera needs repairing? I am prepared to live with it if it
is normal but, if I can get it fixed, that would be better.

Thanks for your input,

John Collier

Replies: Reply from "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] O.58x observations and questions)
Reply from Ernest Nitka <enitka@twcny.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] O.58x observations and questions)