Subject: RE: [Leica] Is the issue of camera noise over-rated? - Talk amongst yourselves...:-)
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:51:56 -0500

B.D.,

> Yes, the unobtrusiveness of the Ms is great. But first off, they are not
> nearly as silent as we think they are. Yes, if there is any kind of
> background noise, the "click" disappears - but so does the whine of a
> single SLR.

Having photographed many young children for quite a few years now, I find
that ANY of the SLRs I have used can be very distracting, and the M never,
and I mean never, gets noticed when I take the picture.  I can see, at best,
a little flinch subsequent to the firing of the SLR, but never see that with
the Leica.  Of course, this is very situation dependant...at a kid's
birthday party, you could shoot with a Howitzer, and not be noticed.

> Second, what is really important is the way the photographer works, the
> way he or she relates to the subject, and not the decibel level of the
> camera."

Hum.  That's true in some, but not all, situations.  In fact, with the M,
I've had some people actually ask if I've taken the picture!  I never get
that with any of the SLRs I have!

Regards,

Austin

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Is the issue of camera noise over-rated? - Talk amongst yourselves...:-))