Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the issue of camera noise over-rated? - Talk amongst yourselves...:-)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:29:09 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:
><Snip>
> Hum.  That's true in some, but not all, situations.  In fact, with the M,
> I've had some people actually ask if I've taken the picture!  I never get
> that with any of the SLRs I have!
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin
>
> --

I've shot rolls upon rolls of film with Nikons and Hasselblads mirrors
flapping, flashes flashing, moterdrives motoring during a Catholic high
mass after weddings and had people afterward ask me if I'd taken any pictures.
My trick is to never click which the guy up front in the robes is
talking.   ... stay out of sight lines... hide behind those big pillars
along the sides. Crouch low as much as possible or sit at a seat.

I always think: is it more important that they get this picture or is it
more important that a flash and or shutter not go off at this moment?

I shutter to think about it!

Ten or twenty years about if you wanted quiet you went Leica M although
a Rolleiflex is much quieter.
Now there are all kinds of cameras quieter including both Nikon F4's and F5's.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography

Web Sight: http://www.rabinergroup.com