Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the issue of camera noise over-rated? - Talk amongst yourselves...:-)
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:06:13 -0800

At 10:40 AM 1/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>First, cameras, and the noise they generate, is ubiquitous - everyone
>owns a P&S and they all make noise; those noises are part of the
>background music of all important life occasions, as, for that matter,
>are flashes going off;

This also depends on the culture you where you are.  In the adobe houses in
rural Honduras and Guatemala, they are not used to mechanical
sounds.  Chickens, roosters, dogs and pigs go unnoticed, but the slap of
the SLR mirror attracts everyone's attention.  I've only used R's, M's and
Digiluxes.  The R's attract by far the most attention with everyone
stopping what they are doing to see what I'm photographing now.  The M's,
if you time the shutter release for when a rooster is crowing (not hard to
do!), goes unnoticed.  The digital is the quietest of all, but I have to
turn off the screen which attracts even more attention than the SLR mirror
slap.  If I sit quietly in the corner with my M7, I'm usually ignored after
the first couple of hours.

Tina

Replies: Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] Is the issue of camera noise over-rated? - Talk amongst yourselves...:-))
Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (RE: [Leica] Is the issue of camera noise over-rated? - Talk amongst yourselves...:-))