Subject: RE: [Leica] Is the issue of camera noise over-rated? - What are your quietest cameras?
From: James Michael Lennon <jim@JMLENNON.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:49:55 -0500

I photograph live performances of orchestras (primarily the
conductors) and ballet and modern dance companies.

Leica M's are much too loud to photograph the slow movements of an
orchestra (which are where most of the best conductor shots take
place), so I use reflex cameras in sound blimps. (The result is
virtually silent.)

The dance companies (usually) use loud recorded music, so my Leica
M's are quiet enough for most of that work. However, during quieter
pieces the M's are way too loud, so I need to shoot them during the
dress rehearsal or skip them entirely.

The folk wisdom that Leica M's are "quiet" is simply a mistaken
notion. They are  "quieter" than typical SLRs, but that is all.

If you regularly work in situations where absolute silence is
required (or would be ideal), sound blimps are the way to go. They
are relatively inexpensive (compared to the cost of M equipment) and
allow for a wide range of focal lengths.

I get mine from:

Jacobson Photographic Instruments, Inc.
11491 Chandler Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91601