Subject: Re: [Leica] Moderately OT: Scanner or Digital Camera?
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:42:12 EST

In a message dated 1/29/03 1:17:17 PM, mvhoward@mac.com writes:

<< Right now, I have no digital camera, nor any scanner.  I'm trying to

decide what I should do about this, and I'd like to hear how you have

addressed the same issues.  At the moment, my options appear to be

these:

C) Get a film scanner.  I pretty much am never going to make digital

prints -- I use my Leica's and Bessa's for that.  I prefer shooting

with them (small, useful, lots of lenses, accessories, etc).  So, I was

thinking that maybe I should just shoot film and get a reasonably

decent scanner instead.  All the advantages of doing my own

development, along with not having to buy a new camera outfit.  But

what about cost?  I'd not want to spend much more than about $800 on a

scanner (since it'd have the same lifetime disadvantages as a

point-and-shoot digital).  Can you get decent quality for that?

Any thoughts?  What did *you* do?  A, B, or C?

(And for our Swedish audience, the answer: "På A svarar vi nej, på B

svarar vi D-100, och på C vet vi inte" is not considered an acceptable

answer... ;)

M.

Film scanners (if you don't have to have the latest and greatest) have really
come down in price.  I use an older Minolta scanner that scans 3.6 dynamic
range and 2820 dpi.  I can't do automated batch scanning, but I bought the
unit used off Ebay for just over $100.  So if you already have film gear
(which given you're on the LUG I assume you do), that would be my suggestion.
 Much less than $800.  All the stuff on my PAW I've used my cheapo film
scanner for, but of course web resolution is very different from trying to
make prints from scans.

Kim

Paw Week 4/Santa Cruz Boardwalk:
http://www.vonseidl.net/patchouli/KMVSPAWweek4.html