Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon SF-200 slide feeder (again)
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:01:49 -0800

Most of my jobs these days call for either digital or video to be deployed
over the web.  It's kind of sad, really, because your work ends up
compressed to death and looking like hell.  On the other hand, that's where
the paying assignments are.  I actually lost a job recently because I don't
yet have a digicam that I can use to send  high-res images from the field
suitable for magazine publication.  The magazine was on a tight deadline and
needed the photos the day after I shot them.  Video is just as bad.  Your
audience watches your video on a postage-stamp sized window, with audio that
sounds like it's coming through a toilet roll tube.  But then again, that's
where the assignments are.

Looks like I will be selling the bulk of my film gear (Mamiya 7, Leica R,
Canon EOS and even some M gear) soon to finance a pair of new digi SLR
bodies + lenses for the commercial work.  But...I'll keep a full Leica M kit
around for when I want to make "beautiful" pictures.  ;-)

- --Jim