Subject: RE: [Leica] RE:Ebay
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 20:32:59 -0500

Kit,

> Hey "guys" ... just wanted to make note of an important point
> about Ebay ...
> though it was founded by two "guys," it was a "gal" who really brought the
> savvy business acumen (or maybe it would be better to say
> "acuwomen") to the
> biz--Meg Whitman, who studied at Harvard Business School.

I don't see it that way at all.  eBay was quite successful long before
Whitman, and I also believe that a cupcake in charge of eBay could have done
as well if not better.  It's kind of like crediting the Saudi's for picking
the right spot to set-up an oil drilling venture.  Or Bill Gates with the
Internet ;-)

The story of eBay's founding is here:

http://www.twbookmark.com/books/91/0316150487/chapter_excerpt15070.html

As far as I read from that chapter, there really is no "second guy".  I
believe there is really only one key founder, Peter Omidyar, and he hired
some people along the way, but long after it was in full operation and
profitable.

Regards,

Austin