Subject: [Leica] I bought me a scanner!
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:32:05 -0800

I solved my digicam/scanner dilemma by buying a Minolta Dimage Dual
Scan III film scanner.  It takes 35mm film strips (up to 6 frame
lengths) or mounted 35mm slides (four at a time) or a roll of APS film
(with an optional adapter).  I don't need the instant feedback of a
digital camera, I can still use my film cameras (which I'd like to do)
but I get to put things on the web (and in emails).

It arrived today, so I haven't had much time to play with it.  It's
pretty comprehensive in that the bundled software allows you to do
image manipulation with histograms, colour balances, colour matching,
and various other clever bits.

However, I've already noticed that -- if scanning B&W negatives -- it's
much better to set the scanner to "Colour Positive" and then reverse
the image in Photoshop.  For some reason, the dynamic range gets
screwed up when scanning negative material.  I tried scanning a
portrait (link below) as a negative and the hair turned out more or
less solid black, while facial highlights were so blown that there was
no separation between the face and the background.

Scanning it as a colour positive, inverting the image, and turning it
into a grey scale in PS resulted in a much better result.  Still not as
good as it could be, because Photoshop LE only allows working in 8 bits
(scanner can deliver 16) and it has no tone curve correction ability.
Aah.  Good job PS 7.0 is on it's way... ;)

	http://homepage.mac.com/mvhoward/images/miri.html

M.

Replies: Reply from "Mark Pope" <leica.user@ntlworld.com> (Re: [Leica] I bought me a scanner!)
Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] I bought me a scanner!)