Subject: Re: [Leica] High speed color films...
From: Howard Sanner <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 14:20:22 -0500

Austin asks:

Does anyone actually use high speed color film for low light
indoor use?
If so, what have you noticed WRT color balance?  What do you use
800
speed film for?

Kodak has some new 800 Porta, which is why I'm asking.

To which I reply:

	Yes, I use them for taking pictures of indoor functions without
flash. I hate on-camera flash, esp. direct flash, and try hard to
avoid it. Ugh! Retirement parties, wedding anniversaries, and so
on. Typically when I do this people want 4x6 prints, and it's
well up to that. I don't remember ever enlarging any of them
bigger. At most places I photograph, using 800 speed film allows
f/5.6 @ 1/30. With a 35mm lens, with people moving slowly if at
all, this gives plenty of DOF, so that my focusing doesn't have
to be perfect (very nice for grab shots), and stops action and
camera shake adequately.

	I've also used TMZ @ 800 similarly, and with good results.

	I've done this with several different Leicas, from a 1936 IIIa
to a Wetzlar M6. So far, no one has complained about the results.

	I tried some ASA 400 Portra NC last June, taking pictures of
Sarah on our anniversary, with my M3 and several different
lenses. I didn't like it at all. It made her face look like
oatmeal. I admit that neither of us has youthful, perfect skin
any more, but this was really ridiculous.

	YMMV, and probably will.

						Howard Sanner
						flagstad@mindspring.com